Pressure on neck caused death of seven-month-old, says Seremban OCPD


SEREMBAN: Pressure on the neck has been identified as the preliminary cause of death for a seven-month-old infant found unresponsive in a cradle at a babysitter's house here.

Seremban OCPD Asst Comm Azahar Abdul Rahim said that these initial findings followed a postmortem conducted by a medical team at Rembau Hospital on Wednesday (May 20).

"The post-mortem results confirmed that there was pressure on the deceased's neck.

"However, we are awaiting further test results to confirm this," he said in a statement.

Police had detained the 38-year-old babysitter on Tuesday (May 19) following the incident.

The arrest was made after medical staff at the Tuanku Ja'afar Hospital (TJH) failed to revive the victim after performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and pronounced him dead.

According to police, the victim's 30-year-old mother had lodged a report stating she received a call from the babysitter informing her that her son had lost consciousness.

The infant was then rushed to a nearby clinic before being transferred to Tuanku Ja'afar Hospital (TJH).

Initial police probes revealed that the babysitter had placed the infant to sleep in a cradle with a silicone pacifier in his mouth.

However, when she woke him up at around 5.40pm to bathe him, he was unresponsive.

Preliminary investigations revealed that the babysitter had been looking after the victim since last December.

According to the state Welfare Department, the childcare centre was unregistered and operating without approval under the Child Care Centre Act 1984.

It has since been ordered to close.

Based on preliminary reports, several children were under the care of the woman.

The case is being investigated under section 31(1)(A) of the Child Act 2001 which provides a jail term not exceeding 20 years or a fine of up to RM50,000 or both upon conviction.

Earlier Thursday (May 21), ACP Azahar said the babysitter has been remanded for six days to assist in investigations.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Penang police bust drug syndicate, seize RM88,000 worth of narcotics
Steamboat chain manager charged with CBT involving RM1.5mil
Grace period until June 22 for errant employers to register, says PERKESO
75-year-old pleads not guilty to reckless driving charge in Klang hit-and-run case
High Court stays drug price marking order pending judicial review filed by MMA
Three scam syndicates busted in Puchong raids, 29 foreign nationals arrested
Malay unity should not be misinterpreted, mutual respect strengthens nation stability, says S'gor Ruler
Prisons Dept grants 795 inmates conditional release ahead of festive season
ASP's fatal fall was an accident, says S'gor police chief
Senior Citizens Bill to be ready in six months, the elderly cannot afford the wait, says Nancy

Others Also Read