KLANG: A 75-year-old driver pleaded not guilty at a Magistrates’ Court here on Thursday (May 21) to a charge of reckless driving that allegedly caused the deaths of two pedestrians, who were sisters, last week, Sinar Harian reports.
The retiree, Ang Kim Lai, entered the plea after the charge was read out in Mandarin before Magistrate A. Khartiyayini, the Malay language daily reported.
According to the charge sheet, the elderly man, as the driver, is accused of driving a vehicle on a public road recklessly, causing the deaths of Wong Nyoke Fong, 57, and Wong Nyok Sim, 62.
The offence was allegedly committed along Jalan Pekan Baru here at 7.30pm on May 15.
The charge is framed under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987, which provides for a jail term of between five and 10 years and a fine of between RM20,000 and RM50,000, including licence suspension, upon conviction.
During proceedings, deputy public prosecutor Nur Nadia Syuhada Rosli proposed bail of RM15,000 with one surety.
“I ask the court to take into account the seriousness of the case and to impose a high bail amount on the accused,” she said.
However, counsel Tong Kuan Ling, representing the father of five, appealed for bail to be set at the minimum amount as his client needed funds for treatment for diabetes and high blood pressure.
After hearing submissions from both sides, Khartiyayini granted bail of RM10,000 with one surety.
“The accused’s driving licence is suspended until this case is concluded,” she said, setting Aug 4 for the submission of chemical and forensic reports.
In the proceedings, Royston Tan Chun Tat was present as a watching brief counsel representing the family of the deceased.
Media reports earlier said what began as the sisters’ journey to go out for dinner turned tragic when they were hit by an SUV.
Both women were pronounced dead at the scene.
The same incident also injured the son of one of the victims — a 17-year-old boy who was walking with them at the time.
