Malaysia tightens Ebola watch after WHO global alert


PUTRAJAYA: The Health Ministry has stepped up preparedness and monitoring measures following the World Health Organisation's (WHO) declaration, on May 17, of an Ebola outbreak caused by the Bundibugyo virus as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

The ministry said in a statement today that no Ebola cases have been reported in Malaysia so far, but preparedness measures are being further strengthened, taking into account the risk of imported cases through international travel following outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda.

"The ministry is monitoring travellers entering Malaysia from Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo, including those transiting through international hubs such as Dubai, Doha and Singapore. There are currently no direct flights from either country to Malaysia," the statement said on Wednesday (May 20).

The ministry said monitoring and screening efforts are being intensified to support public health risk assessments and enable early preventive measures.

ALSO READ: Ebola deaths in eastern Congo rise to 131, WHO voices deep concern

According to the statement, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases had been reported to the WHO as of May 16, along with 80 suspected deaths in Ituri Province in the Democratic Republic of Congo. In Uganda, two confirmed cases, including one death, were reported in Kampala, involving an individual with a travel history to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Ebola is a serious infectious disease that can be fatal and is spread through close contact with the blood or body fluids of infected people or animals, with common symptoms including fever, headache, muscle pain, fatigue, vomiting and diarrhoea, and in some cases, bleeding.

The ministry said various measures are being implemented, including enhanced surveillance at all international entry points, improved early case detection, and greater readiness of healthcare facilities to isolate and manage suspected cases.

In addition, the ministry said personal protective equipment preparedness and healthcare worker training are being maintained at an optimal level, while laboratory diagnostic capacity is being strengthened in collaboration with the Institute for Medical Research and the National Public Health Laboratory.

The ministry is also strengthening coordination and global risk monitoring with the WHO, the Malaysian Border Control and Protection Agency, airlines and other relevant agencies.

"Individuals who have travelled to affected countries are advised to seek immediate medical attention if they develop symptoms such as fever, body aches, vomiting or bleeding within 21 days of returning," the statement said.

The ministry also urged the public to rely only on official information from the ministry and WHO, and to avoid sharing unverified information that could cause public concern. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
MOH , WHO , Ebola , virus , preparedness , measures , entry points , Bundibugyo

Next In Nation

Teacher claims trial to five counts of sexual offences against student, 14
Two new species found in Sarawak forest reserves
Anwar congratulates national team on 2026 Sepak Takraw World Cup Quadrant Event victory
Aggressive conduct towards media not part of Johor culture, says Aznan Tamin
Viral videos lead to arrest of six over suspected drug-laced vape sales
Malaysia calls for unhindered access to humanitarian assistance, says Health Minister
31,243 Malaysian haj pilgrims in Holy Land, final flight tomorrow
Assistant HR manager loses over RM163,000 in online investment scam
Johor police to call witnesses over alleged rough treatment of media at PH convention
More men coming forward to report sexual harassment

Others Also Read