KUALA LUMPUR: It’s not just women – more men are also coming forward to report on sexual harassment – with over 1,000 cases reported at advocacy counters, says Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri.
The Women, Family and Community Development Minister said from merely a handful of men lodging reports, the number has climbed substantially, reflecting that sexual harassment is “genderless” because it happens to both men and women.
She said one case involved a man who claimed to have been harassed by a salesman in a fitting room.
“To men out there, don’t be disheartened thinking there is no justice for you,” she said after launching the Zero Tolerance for Violence Programme: Say No To Sexual Harassment.
Nancy added that based on complaints received by the Tribunal for Anti-Sexual Harassment (TAGS), three cases involving male victims were recorded, with some already resulting in award orders.
As of April 26, a total of 92 complaints had been filed to the Tribunal, with 69 of them successfully resolved.
The achievement proves the tribunal is effective in speeding up the process of delivering justice to victims, the minister said.
Nancy said police statistics also showed an upward trend with 477 cases recorded in 2022; 522 cases in 2023; 788 cases in 2024; and 1,038 cases last year.
The rise in reports also reflects higher public awareness among the public on the importance of coming forward to report such cases and demand their rights.
“Advocacy and community education efforts are very important to change the way of thinking, strengthen understanding and build a safer, more inclusive and respectful culture,” she said.
On another matter, Nancy said the ministry is monitoring developments in the alleged sexual harassment case involving a senior police officer and a female subordinate in Sarawak, commending her for coming forward.
On Monday, Sarawak Police Commissioner Datuk Mohamad Zainal Abdullah confirmed a district police chief was being investigated over allegations of sexually harassing a female officer.
