Housewife charged again over offensive post against King


SHAH ALAM: A housewife who was previously granted a discharge not amounting to an acquittal (DNAA) for posting offensive comments on Facebook against His Majesty Sultan Ibrahim, King of Malaysia, was charged again at the Sessions Court here with the same offence on Tuesday (May 19).

The fresh charge follows a Federal Court ruling that the words "offensive" and "annoy" in the relevant law are valid and constitutional.

Suhaila Abd Halim, 40, pleaded not guilty after the charge was read out to her once more.

She is accused of knowingly making and posting offensive comments against the King with the intent to annoy others. The comments were seen at 8.30am on Jan 5, 2025, at Sungai Buloh Hospital.

The mother of six was charged under Section 233(1)(a) of the Communications and Multimedia Act (CMA) 1998, which is punishable by a fine of up to RM50,000, or imprisonment for up to one year, or both, as well as a further fine of RM1,000 for each day the offence persists after conviction.

Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) deputy public prosecutor Fadhli Ab Wahab and prosecuting officer Mohamad Azmir Mohd Razali appeared for the prosecution, while Suhaila was represented by lawyer Rushilan Gunalan.

Fadhli proposed bail of RM10,000 with one surety, while Rushilan requested a lower amount, arguing that his client is from the B40 income group and is caring for a newborn.

Judge Nor Hasniah Ab Razak allowed the accused to be released on bail of RM7,000 with one surety, ordering her to report to the nearest MCMC office once a month until the case is resolved.

The court then set July 17 for further mention.

On July 7, 2025, Suhaila pleaded not guilty to the charge at the Shah Alam Sessions Court. She was granted a DNAA on Sept 17, 2025, following a Court of Appeal ruling that had declared the words "offensive" and "annoy" in Section 233(1)(a) of the CMA 1998 unconstitutional.

The Court of Appeal had struck down those words after allowing an appeal by activist Heidy Quah to set aside a High Court decision that had dismissed her suit in 2023.

However, on Feb 6 this year, the Federal Court reversed that position, ruling that the words "offensive" and "annoy" are valid and consistent with the Constitution. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Wiring faults leading cause of fires involving heritage building in Penang, says Bomba
Penang Pakatan remains open to working with Barisan, says Chow
Barisan to continue maintaining understanding in Unity Govt, says Zambry
MBI Selangor denies involvement in Bernam Maritime Industrial Park project
Anti-sexual harassment tribunal resolved 69 cases so far this year, says Nancy
Court acquits former Perlis MB's son of RM19,505 false claim charge
Nancy: We are monitoring the sexual harassment case in Sarawak involving police officer
Mindef to strengthen local defence industry, says Khaled
Woman fined RM2,000 for offering sexual services
Malaysia warns regional nations over Norway defence deals after axed RM1bil missile pact

Others Also Read