False Customs declarations: MACC nabs four more, including two company directors


KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has detained four more individuals, including two company directors, on suspicion of being involved in a syndicate making false declarations of imported goods to the Royal Malaysian Customs Department (JKDM) at Port Klang.

According to sources, the suspects - two men and two women aged between 30 and in their 40s - were arrested between 8pm and 9pm Friday (April 24) when they turned up to have their statements recorded at the MACC Headquarters in Putrajaya.

"Preliminary investigations found that the suspects - two company directors, one accountant and one member of the public - are believed to have been involved in the activity since 2022.

"All the suspects are believed to have conspired to offer bribes to enforcement officers at Port Klang for the purpose of securing the release of undeclared imported goods," said the sources.

According to the sources, Magistrate Shaik Zuladdruse Merican Fadzol issued a six-day remand order until Thursday (April 30), following an application by the MACC at a Putrajaya Magistrate's Court Saturday (April 25).

Since Tuesday (April 21), the MACC's Special Operations Division has been conducting an integrated operation under Ops Celio, in collaboration with the Malaysian Anti-Enforcement Agencies Task Force (MATF), comprising the Inland Revenue Board (IRB), JKDM and Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM).

Following this, the MACC searched 26 locations, involving company premises and suspect homes around the Klang Valley, Penang and Kelantan, with the operation targeting importers, forwarding agents and middlemen suspected of making false declarations on the quantity and types of goods imported to Customs authorities in order to evade and reduce import duties.

Investigations found that the syndicate bribed enforcement officers to protect their illegal activities, and was also involved in money laundering amounting to millions of ringgit.

On Wednesday (April 22), the media reported that MACC had arrested a company owner in connection with the case.

Through the operation, 133 company and personal accounts amounting to about RM185mil have been frozen by the MACC, and, so far, five individuals have had their statements recorded in connection with the case.

As a result of these activities, the government has lost an estimated RM1.5bil in customs duty revenue over five years.

Meanwhile, Special Operations Division senior director Datuk Mohamad Zamri Zainul Abidin confirmed the arrests and said the case is being investigated under Section 16 of the MACC Act 2009. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Cops open murder probe after body found in Sungai Perak
Tahfiz teacher arrested for sexual assault, abuse of two boys
Zayn Rayyan case: Sept 28 set for Ismanira’s appeal decision
Indonesia foils attempt to smuggle 75.7 tonnes of tin sand to Malaysia
Agriculture and Food Security Ministry to cut import reliance amid geopolitical uncertainties
No procession for Sarawak Maulidur Rasul celebration amid haze, hot weather
Immigration lorry crash: Investigation paper to be referred to AGC on Aug 20
Cops seize over 50,000 litres of misappropriated diesel during Puchong raid
Seven-day remand for man suspected of setting woman on fire
Budget 2027: Penang urges govt to commit to establishing new financial centre

Others Also Read