Indonesia foils attempt to smuggle 75.7 tonnes of tin sand to Malaysia


Indonesian officials with the seized sacks of illegally mined tin sand worth about Rp1.3 billion rupiah that were allegedly destined for Malaysia in the waters off Lingga District, Riau Islands province on Aug 3. - Antara

JAKARTA: The Indonesian Navy has thwarted a suspected attempt to smuggle about 75.7 tonnes of illegally mined tin sand to Malaysia from the Bangka Belitung Islands off the east coast of Sumatra, with the haul estimated at Rp76.04 billion (US$79,300).

Indonesian Fleet Command chief Vice Admiral Denih Hendrata said the case came to light after naval personnel intercepted a truck carrying about eight tonnes of tin sand at a jetty in East Belitung on Aug 2, triggering a string of follow-up raids.

The raids uncovered about 50 tonnes in Lenggang village on Aug 3, another 10 tonnes packed in 200 sacks the following day and another five tonnes on Aug 8, he said.

"We did not stop there. The operation was expanded to uncover the network and other parties involved,” he said during a live-streamed press conference in Tanjungpandan, Belitung, on Wednesday.

No suspects had been named yet, while Denih said investigations had since expanded to five locations.

Laboratory tests were also being conducted to determine the mineral content, he said.

Asked whether the investigation would extend to Malaysia, Denih said interstate cooperation would be needed to trace the smuggling network and identify recipients in destination countries. - Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Indonesia , Malaysia , smuggling , tin sand , navy

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean news headlines as at 10pm on Wednesday (Aug 19)
Golf-Woodland named US captain's assistant for Presidents Cup
Proud coach Hudson admits Thailand must improve their form ahead of Asean Hyundai Cup 2026 final
Australia secures court-enforceable child safety undertaking from Roblox
Man jailed for assaulting 59-year-old coffeeshop employee, who suffered spinal fracture
Foreign visitors to Japan hit 3.33 million new record in July
Japan star goalkeeper Suzuki joins Premier League giants Aston Villa
Palace accepts Sara Duterte's challenge to disclose officials’ travel expenses
'Football is cruel,' says Singapore coach Lee after heartbreaking Lions' defeat in the Asean Hyundai Cup
Trump lets 60-day deadline for Iran peace deal expire, threatens to ‘bomb’ Oman

Others Also Read