Johari: No official word from US on ART status


KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia has not received any black and white from the United States on the Reciprocal Trade Agreement (ART), following its Supreme Court’s decision to cancel most of the global tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump, says Datuk Seri Johari Abdul Ghani (pic).

The Investment, Trade and Industry Minister said that within five months, the United States will conduct a review to determine the new tariff rate.

“There is none (official notification from the US government on the status of ART). They (US) said that the court (US Supreme Court) said the decision is null and void.

“Within the first five months, we will discuss but now they (US) are investigating each country (for the tariff rate).

“When they have the findings, they will give us a proposal. Let’s discuss what the conditions are,” Johari told reporters at an event in Kampung Datuk Keramat.

On March 15, he said the trade deal between Malaysia and the United States, signed on Oct 26 last year, is no longer applicable.

Under Trump’s sweeping tariff measures, Malaysia is expected to face a tariff rate of 19%. The agreement has yet to be ratified.

Malaysia is currently only subject to a global tariff of 10%.

Asked about Perikatan Nasional’s request for the ministry to provide a comprehensive explanation of the current status of ART, Johari said to refer back to the US Supreme Court’s decision.

“The United States hasn’t even written to us (regarding the official cancellation of ART),” he said.

Perikatan secretary-general Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan said a full disclosure of ART’s termination was necessary given its economic and diplomatic implications for Malaysia.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

National Anti-Drugs Agency to set up drone unit to boost hotspot surveillance, says Saifuddin
UEC holders caught in bind over tougher public university admission requirements, says MCA Youth
Facebook top source for online gambling and scam posts, says Fahmi
Mission schools in S'wak continue to receive funding from Unifor, says Uggah
Environs Minister calls for innovation, AI, and Indigenous community partnership in tackling climate change
More than 600 Border Control officers to be stationed at RTS' Bukit Chagar ICQ complex
Beefing up border security: Joint Home-Transport Ministry plan to be presented to Cabinet
TH probe not limited to 2014-2020 RCI period, says Anwar
Decision on extradition of pilot arrested in Indonesia pending probe, says Saifuddin
SST remains, but GST elements may be considered, says Anwar

Others Also Read