Govt has improved Armed Forces procurement procedures, says Defence Minister


JOHOR BARU: The government has improved procurement procedures involving the Armed Forces, says Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin.

The Defence Minister said this was among the matters agreed upon in discussions between his ministry and the Finance Ministry regarding the release of funds following the freeze on ATM procurement.

"Moving forward, every committee must consist of members from across the different services.

"So, if a procurement quotation is to be made by the Navy, the committee must also include representatives from the Air Force or the Army," he said after handing over aid during a back-to-school programme Saturday (Feb 21).

Mohamed Khaled said this at a press conference when asked about the progress of the negotiations.

Earlier this month, it was reported that the Armed Forces’ top leadership would meet Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to seek the release of funds.

Mohamed Khaled added that procurement from overseas suppliers would be carried out through open international tenders.

"Previously, when this was not done, agents could come in, and once agents were involved, prices would increase.

"These are among the matters that have been agreed upon, along with the conditions set by the Finance Ministry," he said.

On Feb 16, Mohamed Khaled said the Defence Ministry had been summoned by the Finance Ministry for talks on operational expenditure following the government’s temporary freeze on defence procurement.

He said negotiations between the two ministries were ongoing, particularly on matters requiring immediate attention.

On Jan 16, Anwar ordered an immediate freeze on all military and police procurement decisions to restore integrity and ensure full compliance with procedures following corruption allegations involving the armed forces.

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Tengku Panglima Perang Pahang visits family of late Trooper Indiran
Beware fake MACC article on scam site posing as The Star
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts
No elements of abuse, bullying found in Trooper Indiran's death, says Khaled
Ex-Bersatu members welcome to join Umno, says Khaled
70-year-old woman swindled out of jewellery in 'pukau' scam
TB outbreak: Mask up at crowded places like Ramadan bazaars, public urged
Public inspection for LRT Mutiara Line extension linking Penang Island, Seberang Perai
12 police personnel suspended over cryptocurrency theft
Bill to cap PM’s term at 10 years to be tabled on Monday

Others Also Read