Civil Defense helps transfer 300kg patient to hospital using lorry


Besut Civil Defence said that the 28-year-old man could not be transported by ambulance or regular vehicle due to his physical size, prompting the use of a lorry. — Bernama photos

JERTIH: The Malaysian Civil Defence Force (APM) in Besut on Thursday (Feb 19) transferred an obese patient, weighing more than 300kg, from Besut Hospital here to Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital (HSNZ) in Kuala Terengganu, using a lorry.

Besut Civil Defence officer Captain (PA) Mohd Fazlien Jaafar said that the 28-year-old man could not be transported by ambulance or regular vehicle due to his physical size, prompting the use of a lorry.

"APM received an emergency call from the hospital on Thursday morning, requesting special assistance to transport the patient, who had to be placed under sedation, to HSNZ.

"We had transported the same patient from his home in Kampung Padang Luas to Besut Hospital on Wednesday (Feb 18), using the same lorry, before he was referred to HSNZ on Thursday,” he said when contacted by Bernama.

He said that the patient, accompanied by a medical officer and several Besut Hospital staff, arrived safely at HSNZ at about 2.30pm, with five district APM personnel involved in the operation.

Meanwhile, the patient’s elder brother Muhamad Shafik Juraimi, 33, said that his younger brother, Muhammad Azrol Haffiz, 28, was taken to the Emergency Unit of Besut Hospital at about 8pm on Wednesday, due to a leg infection.

"At first, we contacted an ambulance, but my brother, who was conscious and able to walk with assistance, was unable to enter the vehicle due to his physical condition,” he said.

He added that his brother’s weight had increased significantly since early last year, after his leg became swollen, and that medical officers had informed the family that the patient was referred to HSNZ due to a bloodstream infection. — Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

No compromise on sexual misconduct, says Johor Education Dept
Johor cops detain man for allegedly molesting pupil
Three dead, one seriously hurt after car crashes into cement lorry on Karak Highway
Penang braces for 1.9 million vehicles amid holiday rush, police intensify traffic ops
Two held over deadly helium cylinder blast in Sg Petani
Goldman Sachs to pay US$500mil to settle shareholder lawsuit over 1MDB scandal
We didn’t bar outsiders from Orang Asli villages, says Jakoa
Federal bike lane upgrade to be done by August
Working mums struggling with parental burnout
Mandatory drug price display on hold

Others Also Read