PETALING JAYA: Police investigations into the alleged leak of internal and confidential information related to the Armed Forces are ongoing, says Defence Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin.
"The investigation is being conducted by the police, not by us. So far, there are no (updates) and the investigation is ongoing," he said at a press conference at the launch of the 50th Railway Specialist Regiment Rapid Rail Squadron on Monday (Feb 16).
The Defence Ministry had stressed that it would not hesitate to take legal action against any party disseminating confidential information related to the Armed Forces' strategic matters on social media.
ALSO READ: Cops record statements from Armed Forces officers over alleged info leak, says Mohamed Khaled
This action would be taken under the Official Secrets Act 1972, the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, the Armed Forces Act 1972, or the Public Officers (Conduct and Discipline) Regulations 1993, it noted.
The warning was issued after the spread of internal government information on social media platforms last month.
The ministry also said that any appointments or promotions of Armed Forces officers are subject to the consent of His Majesty Sultan Ibrahim, King of Malaysia, as the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, on the advice of the Armed Forces Council.
