Two-week closure for restaurant


Thorough check: Enforcement officers from the Seremban Health Department and Seremban City Council conducting inspections at the restaurant earlier this week.

SEREMBAN: A restaurant which was in the news for the wrong reasons after its worker was captured in a video clip “washing” unsold food to be recycled the next day has been ordered to close for two weeks.

The state health department, in a statement, said the owner of the premises has also been slapped with a compound for compromising food safety and carrying out unhygienic food preparation practices under the Food Hygiene Regulations 2009.

“We carried out an investigation immediately after a clip of a worker of the restaurant washing unsold food containing chicken, mutton and bean curd went viral on Tuesday.

“Action has since been taken against the owner under Section 11 of the Food Act 1983, ordering him to close the premises until Feb 17,” it said in a statement.

The department said it viewed food safety and hygiene at eateries seriously.

“Restaurant owners and food handlers are duty-bound to ensure that the food served is safe for consumption at all times,” it said.

It said compromising food safety or resorting to unhygienic food preparation practices can cause food poisoning.

The issue went viral on Tuesday after a social media user posted a clip of the worker washing the unsold food behind the restaurant around midnight on the same day.

After “washing” the cooked food, the worker could be seen placing them onto trays.

The social media user claimed that when he asked the worker why he was separating the dishes and placing them in trays, he was told that these were to be recooked the following day.

He said the worker’s colleagues then tried to hoodwink him by giving him excuses, but eventually admitted to the practice.

The workers had also claimed that this would not compromise food safety.

The individual then said the practice was unacceptable as it endangered public health.

When contacted, a Seremban City Council spokesman said the restaurant owner was issued another three compounds for flouting its bylaws.

He said these were for operating without a licence, displaying advertisements without its permission and not maintaining toilet cleanliness.

“The owner has been slapped with a RM750 compound for the three offences,” he added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read