Two Indonesian women rescued from trafficking, placed in safe house


SHAH ALAM: Two Indonesian women, believed to be victims of human trafficking, have been placed in a safe house after being rescued from a home in Kayangan Heights, said Shah Alam OCPD Asst Comm Ramsay Embol.

“The two rescued victims have been placed in a safe house,” he confirmed.

The women, aged 48 and 33, were rescued during an inspection. Initial interviews revealed one had been working for the employer for about two years, while the other had only been in the job for about a month.

Both alleged that their mobile phones and passports were confiscated, they were forced to work overtime, frequently assaulted, and had not been paid for the past two months.

Two local women - a mother in her late 50s and her daughter in her early 30s, believed to be the employers - were initially remanded until Monday (Dec 21). However, police said their application to extend the remand was rejected and both will be released on police bail.

The case is being investigated under Section 13 of the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants Act 2007 (Atipsom), which carries penalties of three to 20 years’ imprisonment and a possible fine upon conviction.

Police have urged anyone with information on the case to contact senior investigating officer ASP Md Anuar Md Amilah@Harun at 019-225 5597.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Do you know ... about Pasar Borneo Seri Kembangan?
The growing pain in Malaysia’s big toes
Fahmi: Unruly behaviour towards journalists unacceptable
Right date for couples to tie the knot
Presenting a united front
Family escape earthquake, thanks to dog
Five arrested in India for scamming prominent figures
Respect media rights, urges MMM after alleged Johor incident
King personally inspects Mersing waters
Malaysians looking forward to long break

Others Also Read