Sarawak teen pregnancies down by 10.6% but challenges remain, says state minister


KUCHING: Teen pregnancies in Sarawak have decreased by 10.6% this year, said Datuk Seri Fatimah Abdullah.

The Women, Childhood and Community Wellbeing Development Minister said 1,324 cases were recorded from January to September.

She said this compares with 1,481 cases in the same period last year.

“Each year we want to see a 10% reduction, meaning our KPI has been achieved,” she said on Wednesday (Nov 19).

She spoke after chairing the One Stop Teenage Pregnancy Committee meeting.

Fatimah said fewer pregnant teens stopped schooling, dropping from 98.6% to 97.4%.

She said there is a rising trend of unwed pregnant teens, from 63.8% to 70.9%.

“This information is important to reduce teen pregnancies and provide the right support,” she said.

“Our approach is integrated and inter-agency to help.At the end of the day, it is about starting a fresh chapter and living a meaningful life,” added Fatimah.

She said the ministry will continue working with agencies and NGOs to address the issue and

this includes improving the KAPS programme in schools and expanding NGO involvement.

She added that sexual education programmes for parents will be strengthened.

“We will plan activities based on data,” she said.

“It will be evidence based so our actions remain relevant,” added Fatimah

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Shots fired at suspects attempting to ram policemen
Traffic builds up on major highways as holiday travellers return
Malaysian citizen confirmed dead in Philippine building collapse
Bersatu claims PAS failed to work together to resolve Perlis, NS crises
Two killed in road collision near Bagan Serai
We are the moderate brand that gave you votes, Bersatu tells PAS off
Don’t poke into our internal affairs, Bersatu tells PAS
Defence Ministry mulling offers to replace cancelled Norwegian missile deal

Others Also Read