AG: No link between Namewee and death of influencer


PETALING JAYA: There is no evidence linking rapper Namewee (pic) to the death of Taiwanese influen­cer Hsieh Yun Hsi, says Attorney General Tan Sri Mohd Dusuki Mokhtar.

He said the 42-year-old rapper, whose real name is Wee Meng Chee, will be released on police bail today.

The decision was made following a review of the police investigation papers, he told The Star, adding that further probes have been ordered pending any new findings.

“We have obtained the investigation papers on the case from the police. After examining them, we found no evidence to show that the suspect was involved in the murder of the Taiwanese influencer,” he said when contac­ted.

Mohd Dusuki also said that the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) has issued instructions for further investigation into the case.

“However, if there are new fin­dings as a result of further investigations, we will take appropriate action,” he said.

Earlier, Kuala Lumpur police chief Comm Datuk Fadil Marsus announced that police had completed the investigation papers into the case and submitted the investigation papers to the AGC.

Police had previously reclassified Hsieh’s death as murder after initially classifying it as sudden death.

Investigations revealed that Namewee was the last person seen with the 31-year-old victim in a room at a hotel in Kuala Lumpur on Oct 22. He was later arrested on allegations of drug possession and use; however, he was released after pleading not guilty to the drug charges at the Kuala Lumpur Magistrate’s Court on Oct 24.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Indonesian boy feared drowned after falling into river in Subang
Anwar sues Tuan Ibrahim over alleged defamatory remarks during ceramah
Malaysia ready to strengthen defence cooperation with Iran, says Mohamed Khaled
Zahid visits Ismail Sabri at IJN
Govt allocates RM80mil to upgrade Istana Budaya facilities
Malaysia wins five medals at robot challenge in Beijing
PKNS say loss, debt claims inaccurate and misleading
Defence Ministry allocates RM275.4mil for veterans
Refer to official guidelines to avoid mistakes in displaying Jalur Gemilang, says JaPen
Sunway Puteri Hills launches as Johor's first elevated hilltop dining hub

Others Also Read