Over 100,000 personnel on standby for northeast monsoon, says Nadma


KUALA LUMPUR: More than 100,000 personnel will be on standby for the coming northeast monsoon season, says the National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma).

Director-general Datuk Abdul Halim Hamzah said the deployment includes personnel from the armed forces (4,770), police (20,600), Fire and Rescue Department (15,640), Civil Defence Force (15,390) and the People's Volunteer Corps (Rela) (47,100).

Nearly 40,000 assets have also been prepared for the year-end monsoon, comprising 2,555 boats, 1,843 four-wheel drives, 1,172 trucks, 25 helicopters and 34,092 life jackets.

Abdul Halim said a total of 3,683 flood hotspots have been identified nationwide, based on findings from the Irrigation and Drainage Department.

"Regardless, the government is prepared for the coming northeast monsoon season," he told reporters after the department’s briefing on preparations for the northeast monsoon on Thursday (Oct 30).

Abdul Halim added that inter-agency coordination has improved compared with the northeast monsoon last year.

"The distribution of the Bantuan Wang Ihsan aid has also been improved, with more efficient payouts," he said.

He noted that residents also play a vital role during flood rescue operations.

"Take note of the early signs, such as rising waters. Please evacuate once you notice this," he said.

The northeast monsoon is expected to begin in November and last until March next year.

According to the Malaysian Meteorological Department, five to seven episodes of heavy continuous rainfall are expected to occur. A weak La Nina has also been forecasted during this period.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

JPJ to intensify drone use to detect traffic offences over Aidiladha period
PM Anwar holds phone call with Tamil Nadu chief minister Vijay
Onn Hafiz says he was target of sophisticated 'mercenary spyware' attack
Teacher detained to assist probe into sexual assault of schoolboy in Mersing
Debt collector pleads guilty to sexual assault, wrongful confinement and robbery
GSF 2.0: Released Malaysians safe in Istanbul, expected home on Sunday
Reform task force recommends using local firms to advise govt, digitalise more services�
PAS issues gag order on members over party ties issue
Bersama to contest in Pakatan, BN and Perikatan strongholds, says Nik Nazmi
MACC to appeal Singapore dismissal of RM548mil asset restraining order

Others Also Read