School stabbing: Parents waited anxiously for hours with school in lockdown


PETALING JAYA: Parents of students spent almost three anxious hours waiting outside the gates after learning of a fatal stabbing that took place in the school located in Bandar Utama here.

A mother of the student at the school said she received a call from her Form 1 daughter of an incident at SMK Bandar Utama 4 on Tuesday (Oct 14).

"I got a call from my daughter at around 9.30am, who told me that there was a knife attack in the school." said the woman, who declined to be named.

She said she immediately rushed over to the school to pick her child up.

"I was stopped by guards at the gate who told me that the school is on lockdown and the children are safe," she said.

As news of the attack spread, dozens of parents gathered outside the school gates, waiting for news of their children outside the police cordoned-off area.

The victim's parents could also be seen crying inconsolably in the school compound.

The incident occurred as Form 5 students were receiving a briefing for their graduation ceremony.

Witnesses said as the event unfolded, screams were heard through the school.

Students were told to go into the hall and the doors barricaded with tables and chairs.

A parent who had been waiting outside the school since morning commended teachers for handling the situation well.

"They gave parents periodic updates of the children and the way they handled the situation was assuring to parents," he said, who also declined to be named.

Officers later confirmed a 16-year-old girl had been fatally stabbed, allegedly by a 14-year-old male schoolmate. The motive has yet to be determined.

Students were gradually released around noon, many still shaken as they reunited with their families.

Some parents embraced their children while others stood in silence, processing the tragedy.

Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail said the 14-year-old male student has been detained in the case.

Petaling Jaya OCPDAsst Comm Shamsudin Mamat later said the case would be investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Stabbing , Bandar Utama , Lockdown , Police , Murder , Penal Code

Next In Nation

Saarani accepts political secretary's resignation, dismisses online drug rumors
Immigration lorry crash: Driver charged with causing deaths of three in family
Death of Rocky: Volunteer dog catcher's lawyer threatens defamation suit on anyone calling his client a murderer
Perak’s REE potential needs skilled partners, technology, says Johari
Focus must shift from job placement to graduate earning power, says Zambry
Yayasan PETRONAS Launches Sipitang STEM Hub To Empower Sabah Educators
Online Ihsan Rahmah 9.9 sale set for Sept 9, says Anwar
Johor police to dispose of RM40mil worth of seized drugs linked to 40,000 cases
MCA Youth lodges police report over death threats made against local influencer
Plans consented to by the King for Gerak Khas must not be altered, says Johor regent

Others Also Read