Used Kuwaiti fighter jets only a temporary measure, says Defence Minister


KUALA LUMPUR: The acquisition of second-hand F/A-18 fighter jets from Kuwait is only a short-term measure to fill the Royal Malaysian Air Force’s (RMAF) capability gap, says Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin.

The Defence Minister said the fighter jets were part of a stopgap plan and not meant to replace the country’s long-term goal of acquiring new, advanced aircraft.

"Multi-role combat aircraft (MRCA) procurement will take place under the 14th Malaysia Plan," he said in a parliamentary written reply dated Friday (Oct 10).

"However, this (acquisition of the Kuwaiti jets) has not been finalised, as a decision will only be made after the Royal Malaysian Air Force joint committee or technical team makes a working visit to Kuwait to comprehensively assess the aircraft."

Hassan Abdul Karim (PH-Pasir Gudang) had asked if the ministry planned to acquire new, modern fighter jets instead of "second-hand and outdated" aircraft, following the Aug 21 crash involving an F/A-18D Hornet in Kuantan.

ALSO READ: Malaysia considering alternatives to F/A-18 jet delivery from Kuwait

On the crash, Khaled said official investigations found that the incident was caused by a bird strike on the aircraft’s engine and unrelated to any technical failure.

"As such, the F/A-18D remains safe to operate until around 2035 to 2040," he said.

He added that the RMAF’s Sukhoi Su-30MKM fleet, now 18 years old, had already undergone a service life extension programme.

Khaled added that the Sukhois would soon undergo a mid-life upgrade to ensure their operational safety and relevance until 2040.

He said the move is in line with the RMAF Capability Development Plan 2055.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Four traffic police motorcycles destroyed in Pasir Puteh fire
Two men killed after riverbank collapses, believed to have been gold mining
Puchong timber factory razed in early morning blaze
Do you know ... about Pasar Borneo Seri Kembangan?
The growing pain in Malaysia’s big toes
DBKL offers business licence renewal for up to three years from July 1
Actress Zara Zya given shady offers in early days
Resort hotels see bookings surge
What business leaders must understand next with AI
Respect media rights, urges MMM after alleged Johor incident

Others Also Read