Chaos breaks out at Bersatu meeting as Muhyiddin seeks to dispel talk of camps in party


A commotion occurred as Muhyiddin delivered his keynote address at the Bersatu AGM.— MUHAMAD SHAHRIL ROSLI/The Star

SHAH ALAM: Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has dispelled claims of "camps" within Bersatu.

He said this following a brief scuffle that broke out when some members heckled him near the end of his speech earlier. 

The scuffle had broken out as he was addressing allegations of an attempt to oust him.

"There is only one Bersatu, there is no camp A, B or C," said the Bersatu president, adding that he has enough support to stay on to lead the party.

"I was elected democratically last year and my term will last for three years.

"Any changes must go through the constitution but I will continue to bear responsibility as party president," he said.

Muhyiddin also said he did not know of any scuffle that happened when he was addressing allegations of an attempt to oust him.

"I am not sure of what happened. I was focusing on my speech while on the stage. We will get a report from the security officers on duty after this," he said after delivering his key address at the Bersatu annual general assembly here on Saturday (Sept 6).

Earlier Saturday, chaos ensued when a delegate began shouting "it's not true Tan Sri", as Muhyiddin was speaking.

Security personnel attempted to calm the delegate down but a scuffle broke out shortly after.

Some delegates even began standing on chairs and shouted while others attempted to block the press from getting footage of the incident.

As this was happening, some delegates began shouting "long live Tan Sri", while others staged a walkout of the hall.

Prior to the AGM, there was talk of statutory declarations from division leaders calling for Muhyiddin to step down as the president.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read