Finance Ministry confirms no impact on existing EPF withdrawal rights amid new proposal


PETALING JAYA: The Employees Provident Fund’s (EPF) proposed shift to a monthly pension payout scheme will not affect the withdrawal rights of existing members, says Deputy Finance Minister Lim Hui Ying.

She said the new structure, if implemented, would only apply to new EPF contributors, while existing members could voluntarily switch to the new system.

Lim explained that the EPF’s proposed account restructuring was aimed at ensuring contributors have a more stable and sustainable income stream after retirement.

"Under the proposal, members’ savings would be divided into two components: one portion that can be withdrawn flexibly at any time, and another that would be paid out gradually over time until fully utilised," she said in a Facebook post on Saturday (2 Aug),

Lim said that this was still an early-stage proposal and had not been finalised.

She stated that the Madani government remains committed to listening to public feedback and would conduct thorough engagement with stakeholders before making any decisions.

“The objective is to help Malaysians manage their retirement savings in a more structured, fair and sustainable manner,” she said.

Previously, the EPF said that any decision regarding the introduction of a monthly pension-style payout scheme would be made only after consultations with key stakeholders and evaluation of the long-term implications.

The proposal, which forms part of the government’s initiatives under the 13th Malaysia Plan (13MP), was still under review. In the interim, the EPF has confirmed that existing rules and withdrawal mechanisms remain unchanged.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026
Floods: 245 evacuated in Tawau
MCA open to work with ex-Bersatu members

Others Also Read