Public transport services must continue operating despite rally, instructs Transport Minister


IPOH: All public transportation services, including Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB) and Prasarana trains, must continue operating as usual despite the ‘Himpunan Turun Anwar’ rally, instructs Anthony Loke.

In a Facebook post on Friday (July 25), the Transport Minister said the Madani Government upholds the right to peaceful assembly, including for those who oppose the government.

"We cannot return to an era that oppressed democracy, to the point of even shutting down Parliament.

"Importantly, our public transportation must continue operating to ensure the majority of the public can go about their weekend activities without being disrupted by the opposition rally,” he said.

Loke also urged rally participants to use public transport to help reduce traffic congestion.

The Himpunan Turun Anwar rally, organised by Perikatan Nasional, is expected to take place in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday (July 26), calling for the resignation of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

Earlier, KTMB denied issuing any directive to close its Bank Negara Malaysia and Kuala Lumpur stations on July 26. This came in response to a notice circulating on social media ahead of the rally.

In a reply to a user’s comment on its official Facebook page today, KTMB clarified that there had been no official announcement from its management regarding such a move.

Meanwhile, the Transport Minister reminded commuters that the My50 Pass could now be renewed digitally via the Touch 'n Go app.

“For first-time visitors to the city, you can enjoy unlimited rides on LRT, MRT, BRT, Monorail, and Rapid Bus for a day using the MyCity Pass, which only costs RM6. This pass will also be digitised by the end of the year,” he added.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Cops open murder probe after body found in Sungai Perak
Tahfiz teacher arrested for sexual assault, abuse of two boys
Zayn Rayyan case: Sept 28 set for Ismanira’s appeal decision
Indonesia foils attempt to smuggle 75.7 tonnes of tin sand to Malaysia
Agriculture and Food Security Ministry to cut import reliance amid geopolitical uncertainties
No procession for Sarawak Maulidur Rasul celebration amid haze, hot weather
Immigration lorry crash: Investigation paper to be referred to AGC on Aug 20
Cops seize over 50,000 litres of misappropriated diesel during Puchong raid
Seven-day remand for man suspected of setting woman on fire
Budget 2027: Penang urges govt to commit to establishing new financial centre

Others Also Read