Govt to terminate services of underperforming waste concessionaires


KUALA LUMPUR: The Housing and Local Government Ministry will take firm action, including imposing penalties and terminating the services of solid waste management concessionaires that fail to fulfil their responsibilities.

Its minister Nga Kor Ming said that all local authorities are urged to closely monitor cleanliness levels in their respective areas and ensure that concessionaires carry out solid waste collection efficiently in accordance with established schedules.

"Solid waste management services are crucial not only in tourist destinations but also in residential areas as they directly impact the comfort and well-being of the people.

"For concessionaires that fail to deliver satisfactory services such as neglecting scheduled garbage collection or failing to meet their scope of work, the ministry will not hesitate to impose penalties or terminate their contracts," he said in a statement on Monday (July 14).

Nga said that residents in seven states governed under the Solid Waste and Public Cleansing Management Act 2007 can lodge complaints related to garbage collection, road and drain cleaning, public area maintenance and grass cutting through the Solid Waste Management and Public Cleansing Management Corporation (SWCorp), via WhatsApp at 013-210 7472.

"I have instructed SWCorp to carry out immediate cleaning works, including in hillside areas that fall outside the scheduled scope, as part of their corporate social responsibility," he said.

He added that a surprise inspection was also conducted in the area today, to ensure the cleaning efforts had been properly executed.

Nga also expressed his appreciation to His Majesty Sultan Ibrahim, King of Malaysia, for highlighting the issue of clogged drains and garbage accumulation around Jalan Gallagher, here, last Saturday. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
More than a gimmick, 'roti pocong' a hit at Paroi Ramadan bazaar
Melaka assembly may dissolve in April, state poll expected in June

Others Also Read