Govt to provide aid to rebuild homes destroyed in Kampung Bagan Pasir Laut fire, says Zahid


BAGAN DATUK: The government will provide appropriate assistance to help victims of the fire in Kampung Bagan Pasir Laut, Hutan Melintang, rebuild their homes destroyed in last Saturday’s (June 28) blaze.

Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said a total of 21 heads of household (KIRs) and several shop lot owners were identified as eligible for assistance following a census conducted.

"The current allocation is approximately RM86,000 for each housing unit.

"Today, government departments, agencies, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), and associations have contributed RM10,000 to each affected family. Additionally, a local Buddhist association has channelled RM100,000 in aid to all victims,” he said.

Ahmad Zahid, who is also the Bagan Datuk MP, said this to reporters after visiting the site and presenting aid to the fire victims earlier on Tuesday (July 1).

He also personally contributed RM3,000 to each affected household.

The fire, which occurred around 4am on Saturday, destroyed 21 houses, several shop lots, and a temple in Kampung Bagan Pasir Laut.

Meanwhile, Ahmad Zahid said the government, through the relevant agencies, will also coordinate the issuance of land title to all affected households, enabling them to rebuild their homes on land currently under Temporary Occupancy Licence (TOL) status.

He said Kampung Bagan Pasir Laut is a 140-year-old fishing village comprising 149 homes and several business premises.

Regarding the damaged temple, he said a private individual has pledged to contribute to its reconstruction.- Bernama

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
More than a gimmick, 'roti pocong' a hit at Paroi Ramadan bazaar
Melaka assembly may dissolve in April, state poll expected in June
Plight of two families in Banting fire draws Anwar's attention

Others Also Read