Court stays order to freeze assets


KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here has granted a stay on an ex parte forfeiture order obtained by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) earlier this month to freeze £132mil (RM758.2mil) worth of assets in London belonging to Toh Puan Na’imah Abdul Khalid (pic) and her family.

Justice Azhar Abdul Hamid stayed the order pending Na’imah’s application to intervene in the MACC’s notice of motion.

“The application (to be an intervener) should be heard inter partes. It should be filed and served within 14 days. At the same time, the order dated June 3 is stayed,” Justice Azhar said here yesterday.

The court fixed July 9 for the hearing of the application to intervene.

On June 3, the same court granted the MACC an order to freeze the assets in London belonging to Na’imah, the wife of the late former finance minister Tun Daim Zainuddin.

The assets include two commercial buildings, five luxury residences and one bank account.

According to the MACC, investigations revealed the assets were linked to suspected offences under Section 4(1) of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001.

The commission said the freeze was part of ongoing efforts to trace and recover assets believed to be connected to unlawful activity.

At a separate High Court, Justice K. Muniandy fixed Aug 1 to hear Na’imah’s application to intervene in another ex parte notice of motion filed by the MACC.

The MACC went to the court yesterday to obtain an ex parte court order under Section 53 of the same Act to forfeit more than RM544mil in US dollars and pound sterling.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Wan Nur Iman Wan Ahmad Afzal told the court the monies – investments locked in 12 bank accounts in Singapore – belonged to Na’imah, her family and her associates.

“An investigation has been carried out by the Inland Revenue Board. Based on preliminary investigation, we believe the assets owned by Na’imah and her associates had never been declared.

“We say that the assets must be frozen before they are disposed of,” she said in her application.

Na’imah’s lawyer Datuk Dr Gurdial Singh Nijar said he was “perplexed and disappointed” over the application, as the MACC had never mentioned any respondent’s name in their filing.

“The order isn’t just against the property but also against the person. This application cannot proceed as an ex parte. It has to proceed as an inter partes.

“I seek that this court make no order (on the freeze) until an inter partes application is heard,” he said.

Justice Muniandy ruled that the application to intervene would be heard inter partes and fixed Aug 1 for the hearing.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Johor declares May 25 a state holiday following JDT's Malaysia Cup win
Queen arrives in Turkiye for three-day special visit
Police hunt two brothers over theft of cash box from budget rice seller
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Teenage girl reported missing during hike in Tanjong Malim
Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai

Others Also Read