Retired factory worker loses RM733,300 to online investment scam


GEORGE TOWN: A retired factory worker recently lost RM733,300 after falling victim to an online investment scam syndicate.

Penang police chief Datuk Hamzah Ahmad said the Commercial Crime Investigation Division of the Barat Daya district police headquarters received a report from the 66-year-old victim on June 18.

He said the victim claimed to have received a text message in early March from a woman who introduced herself as a representative of a reputable investment company.

"He was promised a return of between 10 and 15% on each investment, within just 20 minutes," he said in a statement on Saturday (June 21).

"Interested in the offer, the victim was instructed to download an application to register as a member and begin investing.

Hamzah said the victim made 25 transactions into three different bank accounts between March 7 and April 24, but realised he had been cheated when he was asked to make an additional payment to withdraw his supposed investment profits.

He added that further investigations are ongoing, and the case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code for cheating. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Flood situation worsens in northern Sabah as evacuees rise to 4,761
TB outbreak: Johor Ramadan bazaar SOPs unchanged, says exco rep
Bersatu crisis: Raub, Lipis divisions dissolved today
Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha

Others Also Read