Man charged with posting offensive video on GISB investigation


KUALA LUMPUR: An online health food seller pleaded not guilty in the Sessions Court here Friday (June 13) to a charge of posting offensive content about the authorities' investigation into GISB Holdings Sdn Bhd (GISB) on his YouTube account last year.

Norizan Yahaya, 62, was charged with making and transmitting content deemed offensive, with intent to annoy others, via the account "Zam Yahaya Official" between 2pm and 6pm on September 15, 2024.

The said content was accessed by the police Commercial Crime Investigation Department’s cyber and multimedia crime investigation division in Menara KPJ, Wangsa Maju at 8pm on Sept 16 of the same year.

Norizan was charged under Section 233(1)(a) of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, which carries a maximum fine of RM50,000 or imprisonment for up to one year, or both upon conviction.

An additional fine of RM1,000 may be imposed for each day the offence persists after conviction.

Earlier, deputy public prosecutor Muhammad Amir Hannif Ahijman proposed bail at RM10,000 with one surety.

However, the accused's lawyer, Asiah Abd Jalil, sought minimal bail on the grounds that her client is the sole breadwinner supporting an unemployed wife and does not pose a flight risk.

"My client sells health food online and earns approximately RM2,000 a month. He has five children, two of whom are at university," she submitted.

Judge Norma Ismail granted bail at RM7,000 with one surety and fixed the next case mention for July 11. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

JPJ to intensify drone use to detect traffic offences over Aidiladha period
PM Anwar holds phone call with Tamil Nadu chief minister Vijay
Onn Hafiz says he was target of sophisticated 'mercenary spyware' attack
Teacher detained to assist probe into sexual assault of schoolboy in Mersing
Debt collector pleads guilty to sexual assault, wrongful confinement and robbery
GSF 2.0: Released Malaysians safe in Istanbul, expected home on Sunday
Reform task force recommends using local firms to advise govt, digitalise more services�
PAS issues gag order on members over party ties issue
Bersama to contest in Pakatan, BN and Perikatan strongholds, says Nik Nazmi
MACC to appeal Singapore dismissal of RM548mil asset restraining order

Others Also Read