Perak assembly responds to seat swap proposal


IPOH: The Perak State Assembly has replied to Bersatu vice-president Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu regarding a proposed seat swap after the Opposition leader's suspension.

Speaker Datuk Mohammad Zahir Abdul Khalid said the assembly's secretary has responded to the letter.

"I believe he did so on Friday (April 18). We will try to accommodate Perikatan's wishes, subject to the assembly’s standing orders, rules and conventions," he said when contacted on Sunday (April 20).

Ahmad Faizal, the state Bersatu and Perikatan Nasional chief, requested the State Assembly Speaker to swap Sungai Manik assemblyman Datuk Zainol Fadzi Paharudin’s seat with Bersatu’s Changkat Jong representative, Nadziruddin Mohamed Bandi.

If approved, Nadziruddin would become the opposition leader following PAS's Razman Zakaria's suspension for six months.

Ahmad Faizal denied any faction within the party.

He said Zainol, elected as Bersatu’s supreme council member, now has heavier national responsibilities.

"Due to this, he has resigned as the Perak Bersatu secretary, and Nadziruddin has taken over the role, so it is proper for him to lead the duties.

"I have no issues with Zainol. Today (April 20), we attended several Hari Raya open houses together and sat at the same table.

"There is no friction; it is probably just a lack of communication," he added.

Ahmad Faizal found it odd when the assembly's reply mentioned Zainol's experience.

A source said that during the assembly sitting last week, Zainol was given 45 minutes to speak, a timeframe usually reserved for the Opposition leader.

"What is surprising is that during his debate, there were no interjections by Umno or DAP.

"He (Zainol) spoke more like a government assemblyman than being in the Opposition," the source added.

Razman, the Gunung Semanggol assemblyman, was suspended from the Perak state assembly for six months, effective immediately on Wednesday (April 16).

Razman was referred to the state assembly's Rights and Privileges Committee on December 4 last year.

He was referred for making unverified allegations and remarks deemed racist and offensive.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read