1MDB trial: No interference from Tun M, Muhyiddin, Daim in decision to charge Najib, says Former IGP


KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here was told on Tuesday that there was no interference from Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin or the late Tun Daim Zainuddin in the decision to charge Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak in connection with the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal.

Former Inspector-General of Police, Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun, 66, testified that although investigation briefings were provided to the three political figures in 2018, the decision to prosecute Najib was made solely by the then Attorney-General Tan Sri Tommy Thomas.

He said that the briefings were conducted separately by Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) Director, R Rajagopal, in May, July, and August 2018 to the three political figures in their capacity as Prime Minister, Home Minister, and head of the Council of Eminent Persons, respectively.

Testifying as the 19th defence witness, Mohamad Fuzi made the statement during questioning by Deputy Public Prosecutor Ahmad Akram Gharib in Najib’s trial over the alleged misappropriation of RM2.3bil in 1MDB funds.

On Oct 30 last year, Judge Datuk Collin Lawrence Sequerah ordered Najib to enter his defence after ruling that the prosecution had proven a prima facie case against him.

Najib, 71, is defending himself against four charges of using his then position to obtain bribes totalling RM2.3bil from 1MDB funds and 21 charges of money laundering involving the same amount.

The trial continues on Wednesday (April 15). - Bernama

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Court , Najib Razak , 1MDB , Dr Mahathir , Muhyiddin , Daim , Interfere

Next In Nation

Electrician electrocuted while installing power pole in Sandakan
Govt rules out acquisition of Datasonic Technologies
RM41mil in assets seized, 12 detained in Sabah illegal mining crackdown
Haze: 12 areas record unhealthy API readings as of 8pm
Sarawak fires: 30-hectare peatland fire in Betong, water bombing controls Lundu blaze
KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene

Others Also Read