Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home


KUALA LUMPUR: A Malaysian man detained by Pakistani authorities during a raid on a fraudulent call centre in Islamabad recently has been released and has safely returned home.

Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) director Datuk Rusdi Mohd Isa said investigations found that the 32-year-old man had no connection with the scam syndicate being investigated by the Pakistani authorities.

He also confirmed that the man was the only Malaysian arrested in the special operation.

"He has been released and has returned to Malaysia,” he said briefly when contacted by Bernama on Saturday (Aug 22).

Rusdi said the CCID would record the man’s statement to assist further investigations into the incident.

Previously, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohd Khalid Ismail said a special team had been dispatched to Pakistan to investigate reports regarding the detention of Malaysians suspected of involvement in an online scam syndicate.

The Malaysian was among 258 foreign nationals detained by Pakistani authorities during the raid on the scam call centre. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene
Six new Sembulan–Kinarut railway halts to open in October
Johor International Book Bazaar aims for 500,000 visitors, says exco
Police step up patrols after two gold shop robberies in Pahang
Malaysia, Brunei agree to use Asean mechanism to tackle transboundary haze
Education Ministry approves RM2mil for immediate repairs for collapsed SMK Juasseh roof
PAS more interested in foreign policy than Tabung Haji issue, says Fahmi

Others Also Read