Thorough investigation needed to identify cause of gas pipeline fire, says Mat Sabu


A gas pipeline fire erupted around 8am this morning at Jalan Putra Harmoni, Putra Heights, sending massive flames into the sky near a residential area. Several nearby houses were damaged, prompting urgent evacuations. Firefighters are on the scene, carrying out rescue operations, while the incident has caused a major traffic jam on the highway.(APRIL 1 2024) — ART CHEN/The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: A detailed and transparent investigation must be carried out to determine the cause of the gas pipeline fire that occurred on Jalan Putra Harmoni, Putra Heights, Selangor, yesterday, said Datuk Seri Mohamad Sabu.

The Agriculture and Food Security Minister said in addition to identifying the cause, safety protocols must be enhanced to prevent such tragic incidents from recurring in the future.

"I extend my deepest condolences and full solidarity with all the victims affected by the Petronas gas pipeline fire yesterday.

"This incident has not only shocked the nation but has also caused significant hardship for local residents. Over 100 people, including children, have been injured, and hundreds of homes and vehicles have been severely damaged,” Mohamad said in a statement here Wednesday (April 2).

Mohamad, the Kota Raja MP, added that he had been in contact with the authorities and relevant agencies to gather detailed information about the incident.

He had also instructed his parliamentary staff to visit the site to gather information and coordinate with government agencies to provide immediate assistance to the victims.

He welcomed the swift commitment from Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, who has pledged to oversee the comprehensive repair of the damaged infrastructure and ensure the victims’ welfare is a priority.

In addition, he commended the efforts of all those involved in the rescue operation, including the firefighters, police, medical personnel, local authorities, and neighbouring MPs who stepped in to assist.

"I urge everyone to stay calm, adhere to safety instructions, and support each other during this challenging time,” he added.

Yesterday, Anwar announced immediate aid of RM5,000 for homeowners whose properties were completely destroyed by the fire, and RM2,500 for over 100 homeowners whose homes sustained partial damage.

Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) director-general  Datuk Nor Hisham Mohammad, confirmed that 237 houses were affected by the fire, which broke out at 8.10am.

A total of 305 people were impacted, with many suffering burns or heat-related injuries. - Bernama

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Johor declares May 25 a state holiday following JDT's Malaysia Cup win
Queen arrives in Turkiye for three-day special visit
Police hunt two brothers over theft of cash box from budget rice seller
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Teenage girl reported missing during hike in Tanjong Malim
Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai

Others Also Read