Bukit Aman proposes 139 permanent posts to enhance National Scam Response Centre


KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman has proposed the introduction of 139 permanent posts to the National Scam Response Centre (NSRC).

Bukit Aman Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) director Comm Datuk Seri Ramli Mohamed Yoosuf said the proposal is part of the ongoing structuring of the NSRC.

"The permanent posts are needed to strengthen the NSRC, including extending its operation period to 24 hours.

"The NSRC will also have a new headquarters provided by the Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission (MCMC)," he said at the CCID headquarters on Wednesday (March 19).

He said the restructuring would also see the police lead the operational aspect of the NSRC.

"A senior police officer with the rank of Senior Asst Comm will lead the NSRC team," he added.

Comm Ramli said NSRC was established in 2022 as an operational centre to coordinate a rapid response to online financial fraud.

"This response includes faster detection of stolen funds and enforcement action against criminals.

"Its role is becoming more significant and in line with other countries in the region, which also introduce similar centres, such as the Anti Online Center (AOC) in Bangkok, Thailand and the Anti Scam Centre in Singapore," he said.

Comm Ramli said that as of Dec 31 last year, the NSRC had handled 161,863 calls from scam victims and those seeking scam-related advice and information.

"72,523 bank accounts have been earmarked for their suspected involvement in scams.

"It involved some RM50.8mil in funds," he said.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
More than a gimmick, 'roti pocong' a hit at Paroi Ramadan bazaar
Melaka assembly may dissolve in April, state poll expected in June
Plight of two families in Banting fire draws Anwar's attention

Others Also Read