Insurance agent fears fake social media account could harm reputation and career


SIBU: An insurance agent is appealing for action by the authorities after his photograph was used to create a fake social media account that spread defamatory and embarrassing content.

Yong Kah Kiong, 29, was shocked to discover the fraudulent account and feared it could damage his reputation and career.

“I am deeply concerned about the impact of this (fake account) not just on myself but also on my family and acquaintances,” he told a press conference at the Pelawan service centre on Sunday (16 March) evening.

Yong lodged two police reports regarding the identity theft on Tuesday and Friday (March 11 and 14) and also filed a complaint with the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

He then approached the service centre to help urge the authorities to act swiftly against the culprits.

Kapitan Ling Hua Wei, representing Sarawak Deputy Public Health, Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Michael Tiang, said a letter had been sent to the police about the case.

“This is not an isolated case. It highlights a worrying trend of digital platform abuse, where bad actors create fake accounts, steal personal images, and spread misleading or harmful information,” he said.

Ling urged the public to act responsibly online by verifying information before sharing to help prevent harm.

He also encouraged other victims of identity theft to come forward and seek assistance from the authorities or relevant organisations.

“We must not allow these perpetrators to go unpunished. We must stand together to uphold justice and prevent such incidents from recurring,” he said.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read