1MDB trial: Che Lodin denies being Najib's proxy again


PUTRAJAYA: Former 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) chairman Tan Sri Che Lodin Wok Kamaruddin has again denied being a proxy to Datuk Seri Najib Razak in the 1MDB financial scandal.

The 75-year-old repeated his disagreement with the prosecution's contention that he was a proxy to the former prime minister during a cross-examination at the RM2.28bil 1MDB trial by Deputy Public Prosecutor Kamal Baharin Omar here on Tuesday (March 4).

DPP Kamal: I put it to you that you are actually a proxy of Najib in 1MDB to ensure that all (dubious) actions can be carried out. Do you agree with me?

Che Lodin: I disagree.

Che Lodin, who was a director at 1MDB since early 2009, assumed the position of chairman after Tan Sri Mohd Bakke Salleh resigned from the post.

Last week, the prosecution also focused on Che Lodin's relationship with Najib due to an arbitrary part in Che Lodin's 211-page witness statement where he stated that he was not Najib's proxy in 1MDB.

DPP Kamal described Che Lodin's admission about "not being Najib's proxy" as "odd".

Che Lodin responded that his relationship with Najib was a professional one.

Meanwhile, two potential witnesses who were scheduled to testify in the trial have yet to obtain the green light from the government to appear in court.

Najib's lead counsel Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah informed Justice Collin Lawrence Sequerah that the unnamed potential witnesses, who were former 1MDB lawyers, had not received a waiver of solicitor-client privilege.

According to Shafee, the privilege belonged to 1MDB, and clearance must come from the company.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Ahmad Akram Gharib said that Datuk Johan Mahmood Merican, who is the current 1MDB chairman, should sign the waiver by Tuesday.

Justice Sequerah then told parties to update the court on the status on Wednesday (March 5).

On Oct 30, last year, Najib was ordered by the High Court to enter his defence on four counts of using his position to obtain RM2.28bil gratification from 1MDB's funds and 21 counts of money laundering involving the same amount.

The hearing continues on Wednesday.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Shift from 'sick care' to prevention to stop RM64bil NCD toll, says Dzulkefly
One dead, teen missing after being swept away in Keningau river
Timah Tasoh Dam hits critical level as Perlis prepares cloud-seeding
Man, 62, arrested for beating 80-year-old neighbor with steel rod in Penang
Umno will not enter PN pact in Melaka blindly, says Zahid
After Anwar's open invitation, Tian Chua hopes PKR will reinstate him as a member
10 undocumented migrants flee Tanah Merah Immigration Depot, says Police
90 heat-related illness cases reported so far this year, says Health Minister
Neighbor recalls how he scaled 7 stories to save trapped senior
Probe Felda but don't persecute or humiliate anyone, says Ahmad Zahid

Others Also Read