GEORGE TOWN: A 62-year-old man was detained after allegedly hitting his 80-year-old neighbour with a steel rod during a dispute in Jalan Perak here on Sunday (Aug 23).
George Town OCPD Asst Comm Abdul Rozak Muhammad said police received information about the incident at about 9.55am.
“Preliminary investigations found that the incident occurred at about 9.30am in front of the victim’s house.
“The victim, an 80-year-old local man, was allegedly assaulted by his 62-year-old neighbour, who used a steel rod,” he said in a statement on Sunday.
ACP Abdul Rozak said the victim suffered serious injuries to his hands and legs and was receiving treatment at Penang Hospital.
“Police subsequently arrested the suspect and seized the steel rod believed to have been used in the assault from his house,” he said.
He added that the incident was believed to have stemmed from a misunderstanding between the two men.
The case is being investigated under Section 326 of the Penal Code for voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means.
The suspect is expected to be remanded on Monday (Aug 24) to facilitate further investigations.
The incident had earlier gone viral on social media and attracted public attention.
