Over 40 foreigners detained in raids on scam call centres


KUALA LUMPUR: A total of 46 foreigners were detained following raids on 17 scam call centres in Kuchai Lama.      

Immigration Department director-general Datuk Zakaria Shaaban said the raids were conducted at the call centres, located at luxury condominiums at about 11.30am on Wednesday (Feb 19).    

"Those detained were 14 male Chinese nationals, 15 men and four women from Indonesia, a man and two women from Myanmar, two Bangladeshi men, two women from Laos and six Thai women.

"Those detained were aged between 23 and 54," he said in a statement on Thursday (Feb 20).

Various items were seized including four laptops, 88 mobile phones, 26 sim cards and RM100,000 cash, he said.  

"We collected actionable intelligence for three weeks before raiding the residential units.

"The scammers rented the units," he added.

Zakaria said the scammers would dupe victims by "selling" stock shares, gold and properties online.

"They used social media and chat applications such as Facebook, TikTok, WhatsApp and Telegram to find victims.

"They not only targeted locals but foreigners from their respective home countries as well.

"We believe they also operated bogus online gambling," he said.

Zakaria said the suspects would send offers for the items being sold straight to the victims' mobile phones randomly.  

"When the victims showed interest, they were required to transfer funds to an account given by the syndicate members.

"The victims realised they had been duped when the seller could not be reached after the money had been transferred," he said.

"Each syndicate member are paid between RM2,500 and RM3,500 monthly,

he said.

He also reminded the public not to harbour undocumented foreigners as it is a serious offence.

 

 


Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Cops seize RM12.8mil in smuggled booze and ciggies during two Klang Valley raids
Thorough consideration needed before forming political alliances, says BN chief
Malaysians travelling abroad must respect foreign laws, says Ahmad Zahid
Serian records very unhealthy API, nine other areas in S'wak record unhealthy readings as of 4pm
Anwar writes to Prabowo over Felda investment issue in Indonesia
Finance Ministry only processed Jana Wibawa applications on PMO's recommendation, court hears
Inspector among 10 GOF members held in Penang e-waste factory extortion probe
Three batches of Chomel hand sanitiser banned due to excessive methanol levels, says Health Ministry
Rapid KL rail, selected bus services to run 24 hours for National Day
Babysitter fined RM2,000 for injuring 21-month-old toddler in Melaka

Others Also Read