Home Minister confirms no more ban on Dr Zakir Naik's public talks


PETALING JAYA: The ban imposed on Dr Zakir Naik in 2019, which restricted the controversial preacher from delivering public talks, is no longer in effect, says Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.

“The ban was in place in 2019 while investigations into the two statements he had made were underway,” he said during his winding-up speech on the Royal Address in the Dewan Rakyat on Thursday(Feb 20).

“I have checked, and there are currently no restrictions," he added.

He was responding to a question from RSN Rayer (PH-Jelutong) regarding whether the ban had been lifted, as Naik had recently given a talk in Perlis.

The police had imposed a ban on Naik in 2019, barring him from giving talks for national security and to preserve racial harmony.

However, two years later, Naik reportedly said the police had never conveyed the message to him.

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

DAP’s pledge to back unity govt key to stability, says Fuziah
Malaysia weighs Impact of US tariff ruling, says Johari
Urgent action needed to combat synthetic drug abuse among students, says Lee Lam Thye
Scheduled water rationing in Kluang, Pontian ends
Chinese national feared drowned in Langkawi
Make mosques centres of unity, not exclusive domain of any group, says Pahang Sultan
Umno Supreme Working Council to decide on Bersatu members rejoining party, says Ahmad Maslan
3,685 flee homes as floods worsen in Sabah
Border control seizes RM1.9mil in animal products
Elderly woman stabbed by daughter with can opener in Johol

Others Also Read