Job scam issue among Malaysia’s priorities as Asean chair, says Deputy Foreign Minister


KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia, as this year’s Asean chair, will continue to highlight the issue of job scam syndicates operating across Southeast Asia to combat the problem, said Deputy Foreign Minister Datuk Mohamad Alamin.

He said the matter was recently discussed at the Asean Foreign Ministers’ Retreat in Langkawi.

He added that cooperation among Asean countries to tackle the issue will also be strengthened through the Asean police organisation (Aseanapol).

"This issue will remain a key focus throughout Malaysia’s Asean chairmanship. It will be discussed, and we will seek the best possible solutions to effectively combat job scams and fraud syndicates in the region.

"We know this issue has been raised previously in Labuan Bajo, Indonesia, and later in Vientiane, Laos. We will continue to bring it forward this year,” he said during a question-and-answer session in the Dewan Rakyat on Monday (Feb 17).

Mohamad was replying to a supplementary question from Datuk Mohd Isam Mohd Isa (BN-Tampin) on whether Malaysia, as Asean Chair, would address the issue of job scam syndicates.

He said that among the examples of Asean countries cooperating to combat job scam syndicates was Myanmar's authorities handing over 320 foreign nationals, including Malaysians, who were involved in such syndicates in that country.

"All these victims have been placed in Thailand through the National Referral Mechanism to verify their identities, assess their level of involvement and determine if any are our citizens.

"Once the process is complete, all victims will be repatriated to their respective countries," he said. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Traffic slows on major highways heading to KL after CNY, early Ramadan break
Body of teenage boy feared drowned in Sungai Tengah found
Man claiming to be a prophet arrested in Rawang
Ministry sec-gen among several witnesses to be called in probe over RM1.1bil agreement
STPM candidates evacuated from flood-hit villages in Paitan
Missing angler in Pontian identified as 56YO subcontractor
GOF: RM3.37mil in e-waste seized in Seberang Prai raid
PAS spiritual leader Hashim Jasin in ICU at Penang Hospital after stent procedure
JPJ issues 456 notices in CNY motorcycle operation at Sentul Pasar toll
RM3.5mil lost to love scams in January 2026, says cops

Others Also Read