Concert permits halted pending stricter measures


SHAH ALAM: All permit approvals for concerts like the recent Pinkfish Countdown 2024 are being suspended by the police in a move to compel organisers to ensure the safety of concert-goers.

Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Hussein Omar Khan said stricter requirements would also be imposed, after the four drug-related deaths at the New Year’s Eve concert.

“For now, the police are suspending the approval of any permits for concerts like this until organisers can demonstrate control,” he said.

Comm Hussein said in future, organisers must ensure they can prevent the entry of drugs into the venue.

“We cannot simply allow concerts to be held if they are going to lead to participants dying.

“Safety must always be a priority,” he said.

“We will look at concert approvals on a case-by-case basis, with security control a main requirement,” he added at the Selangor police headquarters here yesterday.

Comm Hussein said the four people who died – along with three others who survived – had fallen unconscious shortly before they received treatment after using drugs at the concert in Bandar Sunway, Subang Jaya.

The victims, he said, were given treatment by the first aid team at the event before being sent to the hospital.

“The victims fell unconscious between 10.45pm and 3am.

“Investigation showed that all of them had consumed Ecstasy pills at the concert,” he added.

Comm Hussein said some of the victims might have bought the drugs before going to the concert while others might have bought them at the location.

Police believe there were people who sold the drugs at the festival, he added.

“Our investigation revealed that the Ecstasy pills were sold at RM50 each or three pills for RM100.

“We are in the midst of identifying the drug pushers,” he said.

In a statement on Thursday, the organisers Pinkfish Management pledged to fully cooperate with the authorities while expressing their sadness over the tragic incident and condolences to the families of the deceased.

They also said the safety and wellbeing of their attendees, staff and surrounding community has always been their highest priority.

They reassured the public that every precaution had been taken to ensure the safety of their events, including Pinkfish Countdown 2024, which featured performances by a line-up of music acts.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Death of Rocky: Selangor top cop advises against gathering ahead of man’s court charges tomorrow
Victims were in ‘safe’ area when hit by Immigration truck, say cops
Nearly 15,000 notices issued for minor littering offences nationwide, says Nga
Jendela Phase 2 must deliver reliable Internet, not just more towers, says Sabah minister
Unemployed man pleads guilty to injuring stepdaughter and infant daughter
Minimum wage review does not automatically mean pay hike, says UNI-MLC
Firefighters save 162 houses after blaze destroys 28 homes in Sandakan water village
Investment firm director pleads not guilty to receiving RM13.4mil in proceeds from illegal activities
Immigration to review SOPs after three die in truck crash, says DG
PM orders thorough probe into Immigration truck crash that killed family of three

Others Also Read