Waiver on quit rent penalties in Penang


GEORGE TOWN: Penang property owners will be given a waiver on penalties for overdue quit rent if they pay the full amount due by Feb 28.

If they pay between March 1 and May 31, they will get a 50% discount on the penalties.

Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the exco meeting last week decided on this move for all land and parcel owners.

Land owners are those who own houses and land, while parcel owners are usually in joint property like condominiums, apartments or townhouses.

“This is to recover RM40.1mil in unpaid quit rent involving 100,000 accounts.

“If these remain unpaid, property owners can lose their land or parcels,” he said in a Facebook post yesterday.

He added that the incentive aims to reduce the burden on land and parcel owners, with 107,908 accounts being late on payments and slapped with penalties. The waiver applies to all land and parcel owners, including those with penalty notices under Sections 6A and 11.

The Chief Minister said the incentive is only for lump-sum payment and not for instalments or settled overdue penalties.

Payments can be made at district land offices or online through the PgLAND web portal.

For details, land and parcel owners can contact the Penang Land and Mines office at 04-650 5844/5847/5849 or the district land office.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Penang , quit rent , waiver , Chow Kon Yeow

Next In Nation

Penang Sukma rugby player dies after collapsing during training
Planted reefs off Semporna destroyed in suspected fish bombing
Company director loses over RM167,000 to online loan scam
Body of missing 11-year-old boy found near NKVE in Damansara Damai
Thousands flock to Star Education Fair 2026
Malaysia, Slovakia move to deepen cooperation with embassy reopening
Soldier charged with abusing son
PKR leaders must explain their presence at Bersama event, says PKR Youth chief
Alleged sexual misconduct case involving teacher in Setiu under probe
Six Malaysian inmates transferred to Malaysia in 2025: Brunei Minister

Others Also Read