Sessions Court dismisses lawsuit filed by family of Navy cadet officer


KUALA LUMPUR: The Sessions Court has dismissed a negligence lawsuit filed by the family of navy cadet officer J. Soosaimanicckam against the Malaysian Armed Forces Council, the government and others over his death.

The family's lawyer Zaid Malek said Sessions judge Idah Ismail made the dismissal after finding that the plaintiff failed to establish a claim on the balance of probabilities.

The court also awarded RM10,000 in costs to the defendants.

Zaid told the press that the family would file an appeal against the decision, which was delivered via e-review on Tuesday (Dec 17).

On May 19, 2021, Soosaimanicckam's father S. Joseph filed the lawsuit, claiming negligence on the part of the defendants for failing to provide emergency treatment when the victim collapsed on the day of the incident, and further claimed negligence in monitoring his wellbeing and health during training sessions.

Joseph named 11 navy officers, the navy commander, Malaysian Armed Forces Council, the Defence Minister, and the government as the first to 15th defendants in the lawsuit.

The plaintiff sought general, aggravated and exemplary damages, and other relief deemed appropriate by the court.

Soosaimanicckam, a graduate cadet officer, was pronounced dead at the Armed Forces Hospital in Lumut on May 19, 2018.

Last year, the Ipoh Coroner's Court delivered an open verdict in the inquest to ascertain the cause of the cadet officer's death.

On July 29, the Ipoh High Court set aside the coroner’s open verdict and revised it to homicide.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Johor declares May 25 a state holiday following JDT's Malaysia Cup win
Queen arrives in Turkiye for three-day special visit
Police hunt two brothers over theft of cash box from budget rice seller
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Teenage girl reported missing during hike in Tanjong Malim
Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai

Others Also Read