House Arrest Bill proposal offers new hope for 600 Sabah inmates


Nora telling Masidi about some of the woodworks made by inmates.

KOTA KINABALU: Sabah Prisons Department has identified some 600 inmates, or prospects, who can be considered for house arrest if a proposed House Arrest Bill comes through.

State Prison Director Deputy Commissioner of Prisons Nora Musa said though still under the proposal stage, this could be a positive change for the prospects themselves, as well as how society perceives these communities.

“To make this work, the strong support and commitment from families are vital to help these prospects change their way of life and to readapt to the outside world,” she said after the Sabah Zone MyPride Fair held in Penampang near here, Sunday (Oct 27).

She also urged families and communities to show their support by assisting former inmates and helping them build a new life outside of the prison cells.

State Finance Minister Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun who closed the five-day programme by announcing a RM20,000 grant for the Prisons Department, agreed that a house arrest would be beneficial for both the government and prospects if they were conducted with proper systems.

He felt that vulnerable individuals in the cells such as pregnant women, those with small children, paralysed or very ill should be allowed to carry out the remaining of their sentences at home.

He said this was on a basis to care for the welfare of children, families and the communities at large.

Previously, Home Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail was reported to have said that the bill is scheduled to be tabled in Parliament in 2025.

The bill is being drafted by the Attorney General's Office (AGC) and the Director General of the Prisons Department Datuk Seri Nordin Muhamad as stakeholders.

Earlier in his speech, Masidi said the RM20,000 is a token of appreciation for the department officials who dedicate their time and effort to help prospects rebuild their characters and lives.

Masidi also plans to engage other government agencies to support the department by hiring or taking orders for souvenirs and other items from the department.

Speaking of the MyPride Fair which ended Sunday (Oct 27) and showcased handicrafts, food products, furniture and other items made by the prospects with guidance from prison officials and trainers, he said it was a great way to prepare prospects for their release.

“Once they are out of those walls, they would have acquired skills which can help them sustain their lives economically,” Masidi said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai
Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival
WCE Section 3 targets year-end completion, to open in 2027

Others Also Read