Budget 2025: Sabah, Sarawak allocations still among highest, says Anwar


KUALA LUMPUR: Development allocations for Sabah and Sarawak continue to be prioritised under Budget 2025, with allocations of RM6.7 billion and RM5.9 billion respectively, making them among the highest in the country.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said it was crucial to close the development gap among the states, particularly in essential infrastructure such as roads, electricity, and clean water.

"The Madani government fulfils the commitments of past leaders regarding the Malaysia Agreement 1963, and this should not be questioned as Sabah and Sarawak receive special attention," he said while presenting the Budget in the Dewan Rakyat on Friday (Oct 18).

Anwar, who is also Finance Minister, noted that the government planned to double the special grants for Sarawak and Sabah to RM600 million next year.

He said that the special grant for Sarawak had not been reviewed since 1969.

"Under the Madani government, this year (2024) we increased the allocation to RM300 million compared to RM16 million (Sarawak) and RM125.6 million (Sabah)," he said.

He said that a total of 17 work packages for the Pan Borneo Sabah Phase 1B had been issued with a contract value of RM9.7 billion, covering the routes from Kota Belud to Kudat, Tawau to Kampung Lot M, and Telupid to Ranau, while the Pan Borneo Sarawak was expected to be completed by November 2024.

Anwar said that the overall expenditure for the Pan Borneo projects in Sarawak and Sabah had reached RM25.1 billion.

The government has finalised four work packages for the Sabah Sarawak Link-Road (SSLR) Phase 2 valued at RM7.4 billion, with two packages already awarded, while the remaining packages are expected to be finalised before the end of the year.

He said the government also agreed to implement the Expansion Projects for Tawau Airport in Sabah and Miri Airport in Sarawak at a cost of RM253 million.

The federal government and Sarawak would also collaborate to develop the Sarawak Cancer Centre, estimated to cost RM1 billion, said Anwar, while praising Sarawak’s willingness to prioritise funding for the construction of the project. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Budget 2025 , Sabah , Sarawak , Pan Borneo

Next In Nation

PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai
Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival
WCE Section 3 targets year-end completion, to open in 2027

Others Also Read