Zahid lauds Johor's transit housing program, wants to expand it nationwide


KLUANG: The Federal government will study Johor's transit housing program to see if it can be expanded to other states, says Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

The Deputy Prime Minister said that the housing program, where a portion of the monthly rental paid by renters are set aside as "savings" for the future purchase of a house, could be very helpful to young families.

"We will study what has been done in Johor. This is a good approach and if the Housing and Local Government Minister (Ng Kor Ming)... brings this to up to the Cabinet, I will surely support it," he said in a press conference after the officiating and groundbreaking ceremony of the Taman Kluang Perdana (Fasa 3A) affordable homes project here on Sunday (Sept 22).

"This is a much-needed approach, especially for young people, who do not have strong purchasing power.

"It should be applied to other states as well, especially in urban areas," he said.

The initiative, known as Johor Transit Housing Program or Rumah Transit Bangsa Johor, was introduced by the state government last year.

Under the initiative, 30% of the rent paid by renters can be used to purchase a house in the future.

Meeting the region’s growing health needs

To date, 538 units of such homes have been built and there are five ongoing projects statewide.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Housing , Johor , Rent-to-own , Ahmad Zahid Hamidi

Others Also Read


Want to listen to full audio?

Unlock unlimited access to enjoy personalise features on the TheStar.com.my

Already a member? Log In