Three M'sians to be deported from the Philippines, four still held for illegal entry probe


KOTA KINABALU: Three of the seven Malaysians detained for illegally entering Philippine waters will be flown to Manila before being deported to Malaysia, says Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.

The Home Minister said the three were from a fishing group of 15, the other eight being Chinese nationals, arrested by the Philippine Coast Guard for trespassing on Sunday (Sept 1).

“The latest this morning is that some of them will be flown to Manila for documentation verification and subsequently deportation,” he told reporters here on Thursday (Sept 5).

ALSO READ: 11 who strayed into Philippine waters to be released

“They will be flown there tomorrow morning (Friday, Sept 6).

“There are four more Malaysians still being held in the southern Philippines, this is more concerning the ownership of the vessel involved,” Saifuddin added.

On Sunday, Philippine authorities detained 15 individuals, comprising seven Malaysians and eight Chinese nationals, on suspicion of illegally entering the country’s waters.

Quoting a Philippines News Agency (PNA) report, Philippine Immigration Bureau commissioner Norman Tansingco said the 15 were detained in the waters of Sitangkai, near Tawi-Tawi in the southern region of the country.

ALSO READ: Govt seeks to repatriate seven held in Philippines

Asked about the identities of the detained Malaysians, Saifuddin said the details would be released later.

He added that the four Malaysians still detained were needed by Philippine authorities for the probe into illegal entry.

On Wednesday (Sept 4), the Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry said the operating licence of a tour company in Sabah had been suspended following the arrest of the fishing group in the Philippines.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Fresh concern in Sabah as injured elephant spotted in Kalabakan
Man crashes car into Ipoh entertainment outlet
66 evacuated in Beaufort due to floods
Zara Qairina inquest: Victim claimed she was harassed by ‘tomboy’ student
Six nabbed for murder in Ipoh
BM remains official language for patient records, says Health Dept
Selangor Opposition wants Seri Kembangan rep to apologise over remarks, backs Selangor Ruler’s decree
State Umno supports Selangor Sultan's call to uphold Rukun Negara
New Malaysian passport to be issued from June 1, features 94 security elements
Over 19,000 illegal immigrants deported in 2026

Others Also Read