Iconic Penang ferry 'Pulau Kapas' sinks at Butterworth Wharf


BUTTERWORTH: The retired Penang ferry "Pulau Kapas" sank at the Butterworth Wharf on Tuesday (July 23).

Penang Port Commission (PPC) general manager Vijayaindiaran R. Visvalingam said that efforts had been made to salvage the ferry to no avail.

"Its hull has been rotting for some time and corrosion has set in since it was 'parked' at the wharf from 2018," he said.

Vijayaindiaran said a meeting will be held on Wednesday (July 24) to discuss whether to salvage the ferry or scrap it altogether.

"There were no takers for ferries to be converted into restaurants due to the high cost," he added.

Pulau Kapas is one of the four ferries which were decommissioned on Dec 31, 2020.

The other ferries are Pulau Undan, Pulau Paya and Pulau Talang Talang.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Penang , Ferries , Sink , Butterworth , Pulau Kapas

Next In Nation

Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai
Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival

Others Also Read