Many to keep their guard up despite relaxed Covid-19 regulations


JOHOR BARU: Despite the discontinuation of the Covid-19 home surveillance order (HSO) requirement starting next week, many people here are continuing with preventive measures.

Housewife Juriah Abdullah, 52, said she would continue to exercise her social responsibility by staying home if she tests positive for Covid-19.

“I think there is nothing wrong with being extra careful to prevent spreading Covid-19 or any other disease to others, especially those who are vulnerable,” she said.

“For now, I will continue to stay at home if I know that I have Covid-19.

“We have got used to taking such measures, and it is not that hard to continue doing so,” she added.

Juriah said that she was glad Malaysia has now moved on to the “living with Covid-19” phase, as the disease is no longer the public health emergency it once was.

“I think the decision to remove the HSO (requirement) is timely as we need to eventually move on from the pandemic.

“At the same time, I hope that everyone will continue to take preventive measures without having to be forced to do so.”

Echoing her sentiment was homestay owner Tan Kian Hui, 31, who said it was the right time for the country to move on to the next phase.

“We have cultivated habits such as avoiding contact with others when not feeling well and wearing face masks in crowded areas.

“These are simple things that may also help to prevent us from being infected with other diseases as well. As such, I am opting to continue practising these preventive measures,” he said.

Restaurant owner P. Selvaraj, 44, said he would also continue to stay at home and have his workers do the same if they test positive for Covid-19 or are feeling unwell.

“We may not need to stay at home for too long, but at least just two or three days so we can avoid spreading the disease to others, and (for us to) recover.

“This is not just for Covid-19 but for other (diseases) as well. Covid-19 is no longer dangerous, but it is very easy for it to spread from one person to another,” he said.

The Health Ministry said in a statement last Friday that the discontinuation of the HSO requirement for those with Covid-19 will come into effect on July 15.

It also said that those who test positive will no longer be required to report their Covid-19 self-test results to MySejahtera.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
HSO , Covid-19 , Preventive Measures , Pandemic

Next In Nation

Court to deliver verdict in former Sabah water dept director graft case today
Malaysia launches AP-UAP at World Urban Forum
Retired policeman found dead in Melaka home
Pipe burst in Butterworth disrupts water supply in Penang
722,151 travellers use Penang airport’s new autogate system since end of December last year
Signs of change on the streets
Aqasha to play role of Hang Tuah in musical
M’sia set for GDP growth
Bill seeking to separate AG and PP roles will be re-tabled on June 22
Frozen meat�syndicate busted

Others Also Read