Penang PAS fine-tuning candidate list for Sungai Bakap by-election


KUALA LUMPUR: Penang PAS is currently fine-tuning the list of potential candidates for the Sungai Bakap state seat by-election before submitting it to the party leadership, says Penang PAS commissioner Muhammad Fauzi Yusoff.

He said although Penang PAS already had a list of potential candidates, they were still open to receiving input from all levels, including grassroots members.

"Whether there will be a candidate from the family of the late Nor Zamri Latiff, we have to wait and see. However, the shortlisted candidates need to be reviewed from various angles, including the personality of the candidates themselves, which is why we are taking some time to finalise the list," he said when contacted on Monday (June 3).

He said the names of the shortlisted candidates might be submitted to the party leadership for selection after the Election Commission (EC) meeting on Thursday, depending on the situation.

Muhammad Fauzi also thanked Bersatu for allowing PAS to defend the seat.

The Sungai Bakap seat became vacant following the death of its incumbent, Nor Zamri Latiff, on May 24 due to a stomach inflammation. The EC will hold a special meeting on Thursday (June 6) to determine the key dates for the by-election.

In the Penang state election in August last year, Nor Zamri defeated Pakatan Harapan candidate Nurhidayah Che Rose with a majority of 1,563 votes. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Shots fired at suspects attempting to ram policemen
Traffic builds up on major highways as holiday travellers return
Malaysian citizen confirmed dead in Philippine building collapse
Bersatu claims PAS failed to work together to resolve Perlis, NS crises
Two killed in road collision near Bagan Serai
We are the moderate brand that gave you votes, Bersatu tells PAS off
Don’t poke into our internal affairs, Bersatu tells PAS
Defence Ministry mulling offers to replace cancelled Norwegian missile deal

Others Also Read