Shooting probe now under Sosma

Giving updates: Saifuddin (left) speaking during a press conference in Johor Baru. Looking on is Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof.

JOHOR BARU: The investigation into the Ulu Tiram police station incident is being conducted under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act (Sosma) to give authorities more time to complete their investigation, says Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.

The Home Minister said this was necessary due to the seriousness of the incident, which requires the authorities to address this safety issue effectively.

“We have used the Penal Code during the initial arrest, but when investigating cases like this, the usual remand period is not enough for the police to finish their work.

“So, are seven or 10 days enough? Given the seriousness of this incident, it is clear the police need more time to complete their investigation.

“Singapore has also responded by tightening their border crossings with Malaysia, so we cannot take this matter lightly. We will use all legal measures available,” he said during a press conference after a special inter-agency meeting about congestion at the Johor Causeway and Second Link at BSI CIQ on Monday.

Saifuddin also emphasised that murdering policemen was a serious crime.

“We must be vigilant and sensitive because cases like this affect the safety, economy, and general well-being of our people,” he said, adding that the investigation process is still ongoing.

Earlier, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain said the police had rearrested the five suspects in the police station shooting case and detained them under Sosma.

On May 17, a man killed two policemen and injured another at a police station in Ulu Tiram.

The two policemen, Konst Ahmad Azza Fahmi Azhar and Konst Muhamad Syafiq Ahmad Said, were killed by a lone attacker, who was also shot dead at the scene.

Following the shooting, police arrested five family members of the attacker, aged between 19 and 62.

Meanwhile, after nine days of hospitalisation, the third policeman who was shot by the masked intruder at the Ulu Tiram police station here has been allowed to return home.

Seri Alam OCPD Supt Mohd Sohaimi Ishak said Kpl Mohd Hasif Roslan, 38, was discharged from Hospital Sultan Ismail last Saturday.

“He was shot twice, in the shoulder and hip, during the attack. He has been given medical leave for up to two months, depending on his recovery rate,” Supt Mohd Sohaimi said when met after the Johor police monthly assembly here yesterday.

Kpl Mohd Hasif, a father of three, would return to his post at the Seri Alam police headquarters once he fully recovers, he added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Mentally unsound man nabbed for mum's murder
Teach kids that bullying is wrong, Fadlina urges parents, teachers
Ten-year-old boy drowns while fishing with friends in JB
Sg Bakap polls: Candidates bump into each other during walkabout
Bank manager confirms RM78,800 transfer in Wan Saiful case
Highway concessionaire CEO among eight nabbed for bribery involving projects worth RM1.6bil
Ex-manager held in alleged RM77mil fake contracts case
Energy Efficiency and Conservation Bill passed, with amendment
Dengue cases up slightly in Johor this week
DNB's chief executive officer has yet to be chosen, says Gobind

Others Also Read