Calm amid concern in area around attack


JOHOR BARU: The Ulu Tiram police station has been fenced up as an added security measure a day after it was attacked by a lone wolf who killed two policeman and injured a third on Friday.

A check by The Star found that with its perimeter secured, vehicles were not allowed to enter the police station for now.

ALSO READ: Ulu Tiram attack: Attacker acted on his own

There was heavy traffic in the surrounding area after word spread about the attack. But it was business as usual for residents and business owners in the area, despite lingering fear among some folk.

Furniture store owner Rosa Chai, 64, said she had some concerns, but decided to keep her business open.

“Of course we are scared, but this is our only way of earning a living. It is especially frightening because the victims were policemen. We are saddened by what happened to the victims, and I hope the authorities will prevent such incidents from happening in the future,” she said.

Tailor Ajo Mardi, 29, said the unusual heavy traffic after the incident on Friday had eased yesterday.

“Some roads were closed on Friday. We were told about policemen being attacked, but did not know the details. We only knew the full story from the news finally,” he said, adding that he was relieved the police had quickly apprehended some suspects.

ALSO READ: Seven-day remand for seven suspects

A man said he had no qualms about returning to work at the workshop located next to the police station.

“The incident occurred when the workshop was closed and no workers were present. I don’t see this as a reason for us to close our shop. We have been operating as usual even after the attack,” said the man who declined to be named.

Fauzi Faizal, 39, who lives near the suspect’s house in Kampung Sungai Tiram, said the situation in the area was back to normal as of yesterday.

“There are no out-of-ordinary activities around this area so far, a contrast from how things were on Friday when we had a strong police presence.

“There is definitely some fear still, but I met and spoke to a fellow villager who was still operating his cendol shop as usual by the roadside this morning,” he added.

The suspect’s house and about 10 others are located on a piece of private land with a no-entry sign placed at its entrance, he said.“They have been living there for about 20 years but keep to themselves and do not mix with others living in this area,” he added.

Fauzi, who is also a Johor Baru City Council (MBJB) councillor for the Tiram zone, claimed that the police have been keeping an eye on the area for years.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Fenced Up , Calm , Ulu Tiram Attack

Next In Nation

Cop linked to Langkawi drug syndicate transferred pending probe
Malaysia-Turkiye ties key to expanding strategic cooperation, says PM Anwar
Man likely stabbed woman in neck because he was jilted, say Kedah cops
Tanjung Embang recommended as site for New Kuching International Airport
Labuan fishing vessel owners lodge police report over lorry arson, vandalism
Gold Li Holdings Bhd celebrates successful ACE Market entry
Almost 170 tonnes of frozen meat seized in Kajang
Kuching Urban Transportation System to start pilot run in Q4
Semiconductor supply chains stable despite disruptions, says Amir Hamzah
Boat carrying migrants sinks near Selangor; three missing

Others Also Read