KKB by-election: Dr Akmal respects decision by MCA, MIC to sit out campaign


MELAKA: Dr Muhamad Akmal says he respects the decision by MCA and MIC to sit out of the Kuala Kubu Baharu by-election campaign if Barisan Nasional does not field a candidate.

"I respect the decision made by both parties and the two (MCA and MIC) should also do the same on any of Umno's resolutions on the by-election" he said

He said the decision on fielding a candidate for the by-election would be in the hands of the unity government leaders.

MCA and MIC had earlier said they would not campaign in the upcoming Kuala Kubu Baharu by-election if the unity coalition did not field a candidate from Barisan Nasional (BN).

On April 4, the Election Commission had set the date for Nomination Day and early voting for the by-election on April 27 and May 7, respectively.

The Kuala Kubu Baharu state seat fell vacant following the death of its incumbent Lee Kee Hiong, 58, on March 21.

The electoral roll for the Kuala Kubu Baharu by-election has 40,226 people, comprising 39,362 normal voters, 625 policemen, 238 armed forces personnel and spouses.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Nation

Bersatu issues loyalty ultimatum to MPs and reps
Authorities crack down on visa misuse for haj
Turtles face floating plastic threat
Retired pharmacist spreads joy through the art of clowning
Sanusi’s sedition trial to go on after bid rejected
‘Don’t neglect cash users’
66.7kg of Johor mee goreng sets world record
Extremism a ticking time bomb, warn experts
Weatherproofing tourism
Driver killed in three-lorry mishap along NSE

Others Also Read